Football was played on the Vetch from the late nineteenth century. Athletics and cycling also took place at the ground at this time.
The land was owned by the Gas Works and its football team played there before the new Swansea Town club leased the site.
When the Swans took over, the ground was at first open with banking later laid with railway sleepers.
In the first season, the pitch was mostly cinders and so bad that players wore knee pads.
The South (centre) Stand was built in 1913. It consisted of wooden benches and also housed the dressing rooms and offices. In later years, the top (west) end of the stand became the family area. The clock also became infamous for often being wrong.
The double Decker West Stand was built in 1927 and towered above the rest of the ground.
The North Bank remained the main terrace but standing on it often meant being pushed around and struggling to see.
The North Bank had its roof installed in 1960, the same year floodlights were installed. In 1968 a record attendance for the crowd was set when 32,796 watched Swansea play Arsenal in the FA cup.
The East Stand was built in 1981 and originally intended to run the length of the pitch, replacing the centre stand. It replaced the open terrace behind the goal. The stand never covered the whole of the rear section of the pitch because of the encroachment of neighbouring houses. Those houses enjoyed a good view through the gap!
Fences went up in front of the North Bank in the 1970s to control the crowd. They eventually came down in stages in the 1990s as crowd behaviour improved and crowds dwindled.
The wooden west stand was deemed unsafe after the Bradford City fire in 1985. The upper tier was closed immediately and the late 1980s the whole stand was demolished. It was replaced by a new West Terrace that held away fans, although in the last seasons at the Vetch it was split up to create extra capacity for home fans as gates grew again.
In 1990 the rear of the North Bank were shut down due to safety concerns. But the ground remained dear to supporters and was capable of generating a loud and vociferous atmosphere. Capacity fluctuated in the final years due to ongoing safety issues and maintenance work but it settled at around 11,700.
The last game was in 2005 and an emotional affair.
Find our more
- The Vetch before 1945 (essay)
- Rare 1960s photos
- Slideshow of images of the Vetch across the decades
- Last Days
- After the Swans
- The club shop
- Players’ memories of the Vetch
- Descriptions of crowds at the Vetch
- Compare and contrast: a couple of aerial photos of the Liberty and the Vetch
- Read memories from Jackstall
- Evocative photos from inside the Vetch after its closure
- Listen to and watch Huw Bowen talk to the BBC about what the Vetch meant by clicking here here